1. The term reaping is used throughout the first chapter. I think its an appropriate term to use because the definition • figurative receive (a reward or benefit) as a consequence of one's own or other people's actions : except for the fact that the hunger games are (for the contestants) used as a punishment and for the people watching its a treat because their kids don’t have to go. The history of Panem is people starving and having to fight for their food. Suffering is a big part of this book in the town of Panem.
2. The effect hunger has on the people of District 12 is the effect hunger has on anyone who has starved for a long time. They have the survivors way of thinking. The people that are hungry can't have pets, they have dinner. Its every man for himself. You can tell because of this passege in the book states, pg 11 "No one in the Seam would turn up their nose at a good leg of wild dog." Now. If the people of District 12 wern't starving do you think that they would really eat dogs? Katniss says "meat is meat" in Chapter One which shows how much the people care about what they eat for meat.
3. The setting is, to be honest, dark and dreary. It is the kind of town that predicts death. The setting gives me a gut feeling that there will be TONS of death in the games. I also have a gut feeling that hunger will be a huge part of the games. I think in a way the different districts represent the different people in the game, struggling for survival. Each person that goes in the game carries a piece of the games that they learned in their district. I predict that when Katniss goes in the games that she will have to use a huge part of what she has learned in the games at her district in the Hunger Games.
4. My reaction to the name Primrose Everdeen being pulled was like OH MY GOD SHE IS WAY TO YOUNG!! I was like freaking out. It was huge. I wasn't exactly taken by surprise because of the back of the book, (hint hint publishers that kind of ruins the story) but I was still very unhappy with the pick. I also saw foreshadowing of this event when Katniss said that there was a little to no chance that Primrose would get picked. Now I have read tons of books and usually when a character says something is not going to happen, guess what? It happens. Like people say in our class, I think she jinxed herself. Time after time in other books when a character gets something set in their minds that they are certain won't happen, it always seems to happen. In the book Breaking Dawn By Stephenie Meyer, something similar happens to Bella that threatens her life that she was POSITIVE wouldn't happen.
5. Most of my reactions were connections to District 9 to other places that are dying because of lack of money and food. Either its from a disaster or a dictator there are a lot of places like that in the world, and there are a lot of kids that have to take the load and work for their family's. During chapter 1 the relationship between Gale and Katniss kind of told me maybe about a relationship between them...? Its kind of cute! its like an average relationship/friendship between two people that have known each other for a long time and they slowly fall in love. :)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1324999/
This is a link to a Breaking Dawn Website